Odd Lenses is a lifestyle and art blog. Its purpose is to discuss various aspects of life and living, to offer answers to questions about these aspects of life in the most sincere way possible. We spice it up by occasionally putting up stories, poetry and all things art for your pleasure. If you like the truth, you're in the right place. Welcome to the building.

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A WRITER

Greetings, my fellow ink addicts!

How's it in the word pit these days?  A lot of people think its really cool to introduce yourself and be like "...and I write too". Some would see you as an artsy person,  you know,  very cool and all.  Others would say you're just lazy and boring.  Can somebody be a witness or am I the only weirdo here? πŸ™„πŸ€“
Well,  for those who don't understand what it means or feels like to be a writer,  let me tell them what we go through behind the scenes.

1. Writers get inspired by the smallest and oddest things: Well,  if you have or have had a writer friend,  you can relate.  You know that moment when you're both doing something or talking about something and the person just stops and looks at you,  maybe smiles and tells you that you're brilliant  and that they've just gotten an idea for some inking? Yeah. ✌ That's us.  I've done it to my friends too many times to count. Even food inspires me.  Rain inspires me.  A child running around in nothing but faded panties inspires me.  Okay,  let me stop else this would turn to a poem😁

2. The temptation or problem of working on many different ideas at once: Can I get another witness? Don't lie,  you guysπŸ˜‘
I mean all you writers out there. You might be in the middle of a beautiful story and the ending or a line begins to take you to new places😁 Kai!  And fiam! Faster than the snap of two fingers,  you open a new word document. Many times,  the look of a blank page is so appealing,  it's strange. Sometimes,  you get three different story ideas at once and you start all at once.  The worst is when you're dealing with these and you get a new prompt for a contest and none of the stories match the themeπŸ™„πŸ™„ This is a real struggle, I tell you.  Seest thou a writer who can finish a story/work before going to another,  he shall stand before...

3. We are our biggest critics: Before we push our work to our editors or post it on our blogs or facebook pages,  we read it again and an uneasiness settles like puddles in our stomachs.  We begin to ask if our readers would like our work and all and...sighs!  That sort of thing.  Writers are humans too and many of us have that tinge of perfectionism when it comes to our work.  We have to keep it real though.

4.Writer's block is our own illness: I've never met a writer who hasn't been blocked before.  Many of us stay 'ill' for long. For some,  it stays for years. It's something no writer prays for but life can just be sinister at times and inject this dreadful disease into our systems.  But we are more than conquerors through him who loved and loves us,  right?  And who loves the writer if not the reader? πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜˜ We love you too.  Just pray well that we all don't get blocked at once one day,  else... πŸ™„πŸ˜Œ

Well...
I've tried now,  haven't I? These are some of the things that come with being a writer. Tell your writer friends to confirm or confirm these points.😌 If you think I left anything out,  tell me in the comment section.  You know I love to hear from you,  right?  I do!
Come on!  Say something πŸ˜€

Share:

4 comments:

  1. Lol. I can soo relate to this. Especially the first point. I get lots of weird ideas from weird situations. Nice one��

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention the almighty laziness to write!

    And the emotional torture of having an idea and not knowing how to ink it.

    Then the most dreaded of them all is, writing a piece that is perfect in your eyes. You just know within you that you've wowed your audience. Only for it to get the lowest like.

    Damn!

    But you're still sure that the piece is powerful. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I guess I couldn't find those points in my head when I wrote this article. But you're so right. Haha! I feel your pain, trust me. It's difficult to get reactions from people. That one of the worst things. For this last reason, thanks for your comment. We shall keep inking sha✌😁

      Delete
  3. Being my biggest critic, is the reason I tell myself I'm not that good a writer. Without sampling opinions

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Most Recent Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Odd Lenses by Ada Thelma Iyke. Powered by Blogger.

Featured post

Welcome! Come in.

Door opens... The lobby is large and long. To your left are two coffee brown couches. Apart from that and the white walls and doors with ...

Labels

Recent Posts